It’s time to schedule a break. You’ve booked your hotel, your cruise, your campground, or your AirBnB. You’ve booked your planes, trains, or get the car maintenance completed in time to get away for a while.
I’ve spent nearly my entire childhood and adulthood traveling (for pleasure and for “work”), so I can share some tips honestly. Take it from me: you will enjoy your trip even more if you “book” your travel there and back as well! That is, ensure you have books and activities to entertain or challenge your kids along the way.
Having a plan for your children’s travel experience can give you an extra source of peace so that you can fully enjoy every moment en route – not just the destination.
- Stock up on age-appropriate travel pads and games. This can be through a combo of your local library and special sites brimming with kids’ books (see kids’ travel books here).
- Make sure you “drip” them to your kids. Don’t give them all at once; make sure you can swap out activities as you go. This keeps things fresh for them, too!
- Give them an empty backpack at the beginning. Let them know that once they are “done” with a particular activity, they can put it in there. It will be fun for them to see that progress!
- Pack at least one book on CD or download one from Audible. This will ensure you all “read” at least one story together, making the trip even more memorable (I recommend “Paddington Bear” for ALL ages!).
- Pack some extra special activities for restaurants, or encourage the use of restaurant coloring pages. These are times for your kids to connect with you and with their siblings – make sure you REAP that time with them!
Click on this video to peek inside some new travel books.
They can be purchased here. For my final tip #6, scroll below video.
The books reviewed above can be purchased here.
6. Use printables to keep track of their activities if they are motivated by charts!
Here’s a special travel one my daughter and I made just for you! Simply click here for the PDF printable: Reading is Traveling
And finally, way to go, Parent! You are one step further along to truly enjoy every piece of your well-deserved vacation!
Books reviewed can be purchased here.